Premier Inn reports on the rise of the virtual vacation
Premier Inn future-gazes to reveal how new technology will allow Brits to test drive holidays in 2050.
[UKPRwire, Tue Sep 18 2012] Premier Inn has revealed the results of a new report which suggests that by the year 2050, the nation will be able to feel, taste and smell their holiday whilst sitting at their desks. Brits will have drinks served by robots and will holiday with their great-great grandparents, according to the report by the UK’s best value* hotel chain, which also indicates the ultimate demise of the two-week package holiday.
Premier Inn has explored a range of emerging trends, developments and advancements in technology to understand the future of UK travel, with some radical changes being forecast.
Key concepts of the 'Holiday of the Future' report include:
- 'Try-before-you-buy' will become a new consumer experience for travellers, thanks to a fully immersive, multi-sensory 3D version of the internet. Brits will be able to sample every aspect of their get-away, from the beach to the bar.
- Extreme holiday patterns will become commonplace as the duration of holidays become more fluid. An increase in part-time careers and variable working hours will result Brits taking anything from three day to three months breaks.
- Advancements in technology will see robots in regular use across the travel and service industries.
- Digital wallpaper and flexible, digitally-controlled interiors including movable walls will be added to the hotel rooms.
- Global travel will become regulated as a preventive measure to global warming, leading to an increase in UK holidays as the nation aims to keep within their quota.
- Multi-generational holidays will increase as people live longer, have children younger and become a part of super-extended families.
- Niche trips with like-minded people from across the country will replace the traditional beach holiday as the growth of social media will enable special interest groups to not only meet online, but holiday together.
Claire Haigh, Premier Inn spokeswoman, commented: "Holidays are an important part of our lives and something we all look forward to, so it's pleasing to see that they will still exist as a form of leisure activity in 2050. We are always keen to look forward to see what our guests will want in the future and the idea of being able to try out our holidays before we travel is a fascinating way to ensure we have the best possible breaks."
Rohit Talwar, Founder and CEO of Fast Future, who compiled the research said: "We explored a range of concepts that could shape the future of UK travel and focused in particular on how technology might be used to transform every part of the experience - from booking through to personalisation of the in-room experience.
"While technology will make it possible to experience the world from our living rooms, we believe this will only increase our desire to go out and experience the world first-hand - using technology to help us make the most appropriate choices."
- Ends –
Notes to Editors:
*Best Value Hotels in the UK: Research conducted by YouGov found Premier Inn top in BrandIndex Value measure when reviewing all data between 1 January 2011 and 31 December 2011. All data was collected using an online survey and respondents were members of the YouGov panel. The 21,383 strong research sample for this study was sampled and weighted to a UK nationally representative 18+ adult profile. Fieldwork was conducted daily between 1 January 2011 to 31 December 2011.
About Premier Inn:
Award-winning Premier Inn is the UK's best value hotel brand with over 600 budget hotels and more than 46,000 rooms across the UK and Ireland. Premier Inn bedrooms feature en-suite bathrooms, TV with Freeview, and Wi-Fi internet access. All Premier Inns feature a bar and restaurant; situated inside the hotel or adjacent, offering a wide range of food choices.
20-23 Mandela Street
0207 693 6999