Slovakia Oil & Gas Report Q2 2014 - New Market Report
New Energy market report from Business Monitor International: "Slovakia Oil & Gas Report Q2 2014"
[UKPRwire, Mon Mar 24 2014] Slovakia has above-average energy import dependency with high overall energy intensity compared with the regional average. As a result, the EU has made development of better gas interconnections a priority for Slovakia as net gas imports are expected to cost the country around US $3.25bn in 2013. The country remains dependent on Russia, but a recently announced EUR5.9bn EU infrastructure programme aims to allow for more flexibility when negotiating gas purchases and may boost supply. Slovakia has a growing renewable capacity, but a drop in nuclear output has left an energy shortfall that will be filled with increased use of expensive gas power. Efforts to raise domestic gas prices are being resisted by the government, which may reduce the attractiveness of the Slovak gas sector to foreign investors.
Full Report Details at
The key trends and developments in Slovakia's oil and gas sector are:
* Ukraine signed a gas supply purchase agreement with Slovakia in early 2014. The deal allows Kiev to buy natural gas on the European spot market and annually import at least 10bn cubic metres of gas through Slovakia.
* The European Commission unveiled a EUR5.85bn funding push to diversify gas and power infrastructure across the continent, as part of its long-term infrastructure vision. Approximately 140 projects were aimed at diversification of gas supplies to significantly increase the gas system's flexibility and resilience. This included work in Slovakia for reconstruction, upgrading, maintenance and capacity increase on the JANAF and Adria pipelines.
* E.ON said it would mothball its combined-cycle gas turbine (CCGT) in Malzenice, Slovakia, effective October 2013. It made the decision because the CCGT can no longer operate profitably in the current market environment in Europe, owing in particular to low electricity and carbon prices. The Malzenice CCGT, which has a gross generating capacity of 430MW, entered service in January 2011. In the past two and a half years it has only operated for about 5,600 hours. The unit, whose fuel efficiency exceeds 58%, was planned to operate at least 4,000 to 5,000 hours per year.
* Under our forecast Slovakia will consume 8.1bn cubic metres (bcm) of gas by 2017, virtually all of which will be imported. We believe this will rise to 9.9bcm by the end of our forecast period in 2023. However, there is downside risk to this scenario if further gas-fired power generating capacity is closed. SPP announced three measures in June 2009 to protect Slovakia from future gas supply cuts. The first was to diversify its gas imports away from Russia through new supply deals with Western European companies. The second was to speed up the time it takes to reverse gas flows in its pipelines from east-west to westeast, while the third was to fill its gas storage facilities.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Gazprom Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q2, 2013
- Lightstream Resources Ltd. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q2, 2013
- Pioneer Southwest Energy Partners L.P. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q2, 2013
- Sure Energy Inc. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q2, 2013
- Gran Tierra Energy Inc. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q2, 2013