Work begins on new Bolton School for Girls
Work has begun on the next stage of the £12 million expansion programme at the historic Bolton school, with the new Infants’ School now complete and work beginning on site for the new Girls' Division Junior School.
[UKPRwire, Fri Aug 07 2009] One of the oldest schools in Lancashire, Bolton School dates back to at least 1516, when the original Bolton Grammar School for Boys was first recorded as a going concern. The Bolton Girls' Day School was then established in 1877, becoming one of the earliest public day schools for girls in the country.
In 1913 Sir William Hesketh Lever, the first Viscount Leverhulme, gave a generous joint endowment to create Bolton School with separate Boys' and Girls' Divisions. Today, a much greater £12 million investment in new school buildings includes the construction of a new Infants' School next to the Nursery on Dobson Road, a purpose-built Girls’ Division Junior School on the former Infants’ School site and the expansion of the Boys’ Division Junior School.
While each phase of work has been tendered separately, the project team has remained consistent throughout the different phases of the development, with the main contractor G&J Seddon and architects Cassidy & Ashton working with leading consulting engineers, Hilson Moran, throughout the build over the last 18 months to date.
Pupils have already moved into the new Infants’ School during June, after practical completion of the building in May. Now demolition of the old Beech House infants building is planned at the end of the summer term to make way for the new Girls’ Division Junior School.
The Girls' Junior School scheme is costing circa £3 million and is expected to be a twelve month construction, with completion in time for the start of the 2010/11 academic year. The new three-story building will comprise 11 classrooms including an IT suite, arts room and science room, as well as a main performance hall and library. The Boys' Division Junior School on Park Road has also been extended, with a number of temporary buildings being converted to permanent structures.
Leading international engineering consultancy, Hilson Moran has designed the mechanical and electrical services for the project, as well undertaking building modelling and pre-construction Part L impact assessments to ensure the energy efficiency of the new build.
The new Girls Junior School will be provided with an energy efficient condensing boiler supplying an underfloor heating system throughout. Two variable volume central ventilation systems with rotary heat recovery devices have been incorporated into the design to serve the classroom areas and main performance hall respectively.
Simon Marsden, Clerk and Treasurer at the School, said: "This is a £12 million investment in the education and futures of young people in the borough. The new buildings will be state of the art, providing large classrooms and utilising the very latest in technological equipment. We are all extremely excited about this project.”
Issued by Shere Marketing on behalf of Hilson Moran. For more information or images contact Charmaine Kimpton on 01483 209305 or firstname.lastname@example.org.